We all want a good reference from an employer. Here are some tips on how you can get a good reference. NOTE: these tips help, however if you have an unstable boss, it can be a challenge! If this is the case, read this ( Boss is Crazy ) first!
How you behave at work will dictate if you:
Get a good reference when you leave
Get a promotion
Get assigned to important projects
Bad or questionable behavior can result in:
It all comes down to good work ethic in order to get a good reference from an employer. Here are the some rules to follow:
- Get to work on time EVERYDAY! If you get to work a few minutes early, the better! This will give you a buffer for unforeseen situations such as a traffic jam, etc.
- Don’t scoot out of work early without approval! If you are able, volunteer to work late if emergency arises.
- Volunteer for assignments and special projects! Be the first to raise your hand when a need arises and you think you can do it!
- Don’t be “that” person who calls in sick on Mondays and/or Fridays
- Keep a tidy work area
- Dress the part (professional)
- Get along with your co-workers…even the people you really don’t care for.
- Show initiative
- Show leadership
- Don’t be a whiner or malcontent Instead, say this: “I would love to help the company, and it’s needs are important to me. I noticed ______. I would like to offer a suggested solution and I think I could help get it fixed!”
None of the above is rocket science. This should be common sense for most people. However, you will be surprised at the amount of people who fail to do the above simple tasks and then scratch their heads when they are passed up for a promotional opportunity or get a bad reference from a prior employer.